By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Billiard Aiming Systems

Billiard Aiming Systems

I am a new billiard player and I am wondering if there are any good billiard aiming systems out there?

Billiard Aiming Systems

Replies & Comments

1. raceto7Mitch Alsup on 11/26/2011 1:29:34 PM

A few billiard aiming systems I know of:

• Ghost Ball aiming system - probably the easiest to figure out
    • CTE aiming system - Center to Edge aiming system
    • SEE aiming system - Not sure about this one, just encountered it

But note: No aiming system does more than allow your brain to figure out the physics of ball-to-ball contact. By the time you shoot your 1 Millionth stroke, the system by which you aim becomes irrelevant. The eye and brain will have figured out what to do.

2. raceto7raceto7 on 11/27/2011 6:24:53 AM

Thanks for the info Mitch.

3. raceto72ballrun on 1/1/2012 1:37:02 PM

There is another billiard aiming system that I have been trying out called the Ultimate Aiming System by David Mullen. It is on You tube. I would like to embed it here for discussion? It's just a different aiming system.

Anyone peep it? It seems to work for most shots. I'm not sure how, but it does work for about everything but hard side english that you still need to allow for some squirt and slow shots with extreme side.

I have even cut a few real thin shots this way and it worked, I don't know how, but it did? It's nuts! Maybe it's because I'm in a slump and am willing to try anything, and it will wear off, but right now it gives me a new perspective to work with and I'm starting to play better.

Moderator Note:

I had to remove the full video on request from the creator of that film. It was uploaded to YouTube in violation of his copyright and he contacted me directly.

The authors, David Mullen and Larry Atkinson have a kindle edition explaining the Ultimate Aiming System for sale on amazon.com for only about $5, and have posted a trailer.

4. raceto7Fenwick on 1/5/2012 11:01:14 AM

I saw it before it was pulled. Anything that helps is good. Pretty close to C.T.E. in my opinion. I showed it to someone just getting back into the game a few days ago and it helped him!

5. raceto72ballrun on 1/5/2012 11:37:42 AM

The difference is that there is no pivot involved. You only have to line the side of the stick to the point of contact on the object ball and shoot. Much less to think about. The crazy thing is that it seems to work! I don't know why?

Any idea why they would pull the video? Doesn't make sense to me.

6. raceto7billiardsforum on 1/5/2012 12:20:56 PM

Yeah the creator of the video sells it to earn money, and someone else (not him) uploaded it to YouTube without license. He asked me specifically to take it down from here, and also sent a take-down notice to YouTube.

7. raceto7allanpsand on 5/2/2013 11:24:12 AM

The simplest to use when learning how to aim is the ghost ball.

I teach this to all of my beginning students since the concept is simple and easy to grasp.

I set up a shot for them, position another ball as the ghost ball. I tell them to get down and align their aim straight at the ball I set down. When they are ready, I remove the ball and they execute the shot.

When they can pocket the OB, they got the basic idea. This is enough for them to learn.

For strong intermediate players, I teach the "Spot on the Ball" technique, which includes the intentional use of their back brain to make the small adjustments for the ball widths.

8. raceto7metguy on 4/4/2015 6:05:08 PM

When it comes to aiming systems, the systems out there are incomplete. CTE is pretty good but incomplete. I bought it, I studied it, and its limited. Ditto for Zero-X. Ghost ball and double distance aiming are both dependent on your visual interpretation of CP.

There isn't a video available I haven't seen. I even ventured to European sites and watched their videos on 3-cushion. That was for referencing diamond play.

I concluded they will only advance a players game slightly. Like others have posted, instincts will overtake these systems pretty quickly.

With that said, I have developed an aiming system that is versatile and fairly easy to learn. I know, another guy who's figured it all out. Somebody just tell me where to post it and see for yourself.

9. raceto7Zeke on 4/5/2015 6:02:20 AM

@Metguy, you just replied to a 2 year old post. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but some threads do die a natural death.

10. raceto7metguy on 4/6/2015 4:43:56 PM

Yeah, I seen the dates. I really do have a great aiming system though and new to this forum. Can't PM anyone to ask questions on where to post it and somewhat computer illiterate. It seemed like a good place to start and was wondering (with these dates) how active the forum really was. I'll take a swing at going with a new post tomorrow, see how that goes.

11. raceto7Zeke on 4/7/2015 8:20:58 AM

I'd guess at least one post is made each day. Some days there's none. Many days there's a flurry - if the post is real interesting and many respond.

There's tons of archives that are extremely informative. The rules section(s) are very expansive and helpful. The "How to" sections are very good and videos of re-tipping, aiming systems, scoring nuances, league play, etc. are huge.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

Billiard Aiming Systems

• Title: Billiard Aiming Systems
  • Author: (Ron File)
  • Published: 11/12/2011 6:26:14 PM