By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Issues with Banking and Kicking

When i try this drill from the same pocket sometimes its long sometimes its short sometimes it goes in the pocket.

How do i tell which is correct?

Also take a look at this text: Look at the text at the bottom where it says "what to do". Should it be this instead:

short inside short outside long inside long outside

I'm confused. Is it a typo? Can anyone clarify this?

At the top it says "short or long playing rails is essential knowledge for banks and kicks" but they put this drill after all the banking and kicking drills?

Replies & Comments

1. stevenn21Mitch Alsup on 8/13/2013 9:51:18 PM

First of all there is the concept of table squareness. A table that is square will enable a shot with traveling english aimed at the 3rd diamond to drop in the corner pocket. 10 foot tables are typically square, while smaller tables typically play shorter (and hit the side rail).

Secondly english has a lot to do with whether you ultimately drop the CB in the corner. Too much outside english and it plays short, not enough an it plays long. If you get the hang of it, you can use english and vary the diamond you shoot at and control the CB around interfering balls.

With natural english, on a 9 foot table you can shoot at the 2.5 diamond and the CB will drop. Natural english has just a tad of outside with a bit of follow, while running english has significant (but not too much) outside and useful amount of top.

2. stevenn21stevenn21 on 8/14/2013 3:33:14 AM

mine is a 9ft i thought that was the strandard so i should aim at 2.5 with natual english? will 9ft play short? what about this is it a typo Look at the text at the bottom where it says "what to do". Should it be this instead:

short inside short outside long inside long outside

3. stevenn21Mitch Alsup on 8/14/2013 8:55:52 PM

My guess is that you should experiment with the aiming point and the amount of english to develop a touchy feely relationship with your table. If you visit a different table, run a few shots to see how square that table is compared to your table and make adjustments. Tables play differently! Sometimes the cleanliness of the cloth and balls will alter the squareness of the table, and so will humidity. You have to be able to adjust rather than playing mechanically.

4. stevenn21metguy on 9/12/2015 9:44:56 AM

The book is right. The picture is showing spin corrections. Consistent ball speed is critical to repeatability.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Issues with Banking and Kicking
  • Author: (Steven Noble)
  • Published: 8/13/2013 5:48:46 AM
  • Last Updated: 8/13/2013 5:51:14 AM
  • Last Updated By: stevenn21