By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

8 Ball Blocked

8 Ball Blocked

Had this happen today: I had only the 8 ball to pocket which was on the edge of a corner pocket, but the last two of my opponents balls were 1 inch away from the 8 ball blocking a clean shot to the 8 ball. Do I have to forfeit the game?

This question relates to the following billiard rules:

8 Ball Blocked

Replies & Comments

1. psyclguygibson on 4/9/2014 9:33:49 AM

You can forfeit a game at any time, for any reason, but you never have to forfeit. If you can not contact your object ball, under most playing rules, the opponent gets ball in hand after your failed shot. My advice is to attempt to contact a cushion near the corner and allow the opponent to shoot and hope that he gives you a better shot when and if he misses. I don't know if there is a stalemate rule on this, but if one is offered I would argue that since you have a two ball advantage, it would not be a stalemate.

2. psyclguyZeke on 4/9/2014 12:42:52 PM

I urge you to check the 8-ball rules above. Among a few paragraphs are these:

"Playing the 8 ball" When the 8-ball is the legal object ball, a scratch or foul is not loss of game if the 8-ball is not pocketed or jumped from the table. Incoming player has cue ball in hand. Note: A combination shot can never be used to legally pocket the 8-ball, except when the 8-ball is the first ball contacted in the shot sequence.

"Legal Shot" On all shots (except on the break and when the table is open), the shooter must hit one of their group of balls first and either pocket a numbered ball, or cause the cue ball, or any numbered ball to contact a rail. Please Note: It is permissible for the shooter to bank the cue ball off a rail before contacting the object ball; however, after contact with the object ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or any numbered ball must contact a rail. Failure to meet these requirements results in a foul.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

8 Ball Blocked

• Title: 8 Ball Blocked
  • Author:
  • Published: 4/2/2014 6:17:47 AM