By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Slate vs Artificial slate when jumping

Hello everyone. I have a question about my Clifton table. I know its cheap and has a ton of limitations but its what I have currently. I took 10 yrs off of shooting pool but got back into it last year. Having a blast and learning a ton but one thing eludes me (Jumping). This Clifton has an artificial slate and I was wondering if its possible to even jump on it. When I began my "comeback" I noticed I was breaking with an elevated cue. Didn't seem to have any problems with that until I went into a bar with real slate. Then, I couldn't keep the cue ball on the table. This is when I began to wonder if the artificial was giving or absorbing. I really need to work on my jump game and getting another table just isn't going to happen this winter. Any insight? I'd appreciate ANY input. Thanks.

Replies & Comments

1. metguyZeke on 10/26/2014 8:41:38 AM

A certain percentage of the energy induced when jumping a ball is a function of the cloth directly between the hard surface (slate or synthetic) - and the ball.

I suspect the cloth between the ball and cloth is as - if not more - a factor than the base upon which the cloth is stretched?

Then too, the amount of "spin" (and therefore the resulting "jumping action") induced - is directly related to the friction between the cue tip and ball - AND - the ball's reaction to the friction of the cloth it lies on.

I think ;)

2. metguymetguy on 10/26/2014 11:15:04 AM

Well, that certainly makes a lot of sense. I have noticed my draw shots are weaker on my table (compared to the bar tables). Never gave the cloth much thought for being a jumping factor.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Slate vs Artificial slate when jumping
  • Author: (Jeff Hewitt)
  • Published: 10/26/2014 3:25:25 AM