By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Need Advice on Which Pool Table to Choose

My father-in-law has been dreaming of having a pool table, but never got one since his house never had the space AND his wife never kind of liked the idea of it.

Now, they sold their house three weeks ago (YAY!) and found where they will move. This particular house has an unfinished basement. It's basically one huge room with stairs in the middle so it creates a "U" shape basement. I don't have pictures since I only visited it with them once, but I'm pretty sure space won't be a problem for the table.

They're moving after Christmas, which is perfect, and I was trying to consolidate a good amount of money from friends & family to help him buy one.

The situation: I know it costs a lot so I'm trying to outweigh it by having as many people contribute as possible.

The problem is I don't know ANYTHING about pool tables and that's where I need help. I know him and a couple of his friends play casually at a bar near our town.

I was trying to buy locally to encourage our businesses, so I took a look at the cheapest tables around to sort of have a benchmark. Even though they are the "cheapest", it's still a hefty price.

Here are the models I looked over:

1. I found a Montcalme for 1599$.
  2. I also thought about going used, but is it a safe bargain? I went on Kijiji and found one at 500$ who seems pretty solid.

What are the advantages/disadvantages? what should I look for ? Budget was around 700, but if I pitch my idea to my father-in-law, maybe he could split the price and get something better.

PS: I considered sticking to buying local, but if you guys have a very good idea, I'll just buy it somewhere else if they don't have that option locally.

Replies & Comments

1. SoussolZeke on 11/26/2014 3:39:44 PM

Most times a good quality used table is cheaper and better than a cheap wannabe.

There is no substitute for slate tops but if something really nice shows up, who knows.

I see Costco has tables and since I'm a big fan, would take a look at the selection(s) they offer.

What size table would work? 9-foot is "standard" full size, 8-footers abound and 7's are about as small as you can go without losing the essence of the game IMO.

There's a section above that has room size vs. table size and how things might fit. I urge you to use the resource.

2. SoussolSoussol on 11/27/2014 7:37:05 AM

@Zeke - Well, it depends on how much more space I need around the table, but honestly, from what I saw, his basement is pretty big so I wouldn't worry about the size. I saw many people talking about 4.5X9 slate tables so I might go around that, but no less than 8. Supposedly they warp. All things aside, I will go and take a look at the section of the forum you talked about.

I didn't know Costco had some, so I think it could be a good bargain! Thing that troubles me is, they usually have very good quality products, but are pool tables amongst them?

3. SoussolSoussol on 11/27/2014 7:44:25 AM

Okay so I looked at some discussions, and I think it'd be best to go with a 4x8 table. We would have to take dimensions to be exact, but I want him to have room around to put accessories if he wants AND still be able to play without being hindered.

Thanks for your help man!

4. SoussolZeke on 11/27/2014 9:44:12 AM

Post some pics when things get settled.

5. SoussolFenwick on 11/29/2014 8:29:57 AM

I second what Zeke said. Even at the pool hall a 4 x 8 is common place.

6. SoussolZeke on 11/29/2014 9:37:44 AM

This the relevant link from this website regarding room vs. table size. BTW, a "standard" length cue stick is~ 57"

Home Billiard Room Table Size

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Need Advice on Which Pool Table to Choose
  • Author: (Charles-olivier Roy)
  • Published: 11/26/2014 12:29:47 PM