By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Calling Shots and the Last Pocket Rule

I have a question about a game we just played that got heated at the end.

I had two balls left on the table. I called the corner pocket and made my ball there. The cue ball came off the rail and hit my opponent's ball, and my opponent's ball hit my last ball and knocked it into the side pocket.

What is my last pocket? The corner or the side?

We've always played that it's the last "called" pocket (thus, my "last pocket" is the corner pocket in this case).

This question relates to the following billiard rules:

Replies & Comments

1. brettmcZeke on 5/5/2015 5:47:02 PM

You need to define what YOUR rules mean; ("We've always played that it's the last "called" pocket.") - before we can reply.

However, anything (other than the cue, an opponent's ball and 8-ball) that drops AFTER you make your ball in the called pocket - is your's to keep - accidental or not.

You can research all this stuff up top where the tab "billiard rules" appears. Great resource.

2. brettmcbrettmc on 5/8/2015 6:57:09 AM

It sounds like the rule then is that the side would be the last pocket?

In the past, this has happened a few times and I always thought it would be the side pocket in this case but was told that it's the last "called pocket" meaning the corner.

Still don't know

3. brettmcZeke on 5/8/2015 9:51:25 AM

You're using a term that is local - not national - nor nted in any rules I looked at on your behalf.

Of course "local rules" are why many of us hate 8-ball. There's as many "house rules" as there are "regulations" that are national accepted - as these "local rules."

We/I have no idea what the phrase "last pocket" even implies, much less means. To the best of my 50+ years of pool knowledge, you call the ball - you call which pocket. This applies to the break and the last shot on the 8 - and everything in between.

There is no special rule regarding the 8-ball, "last pocket" or any other local nuance unless it is a local rule" - outside the rules as written by one of the many "authorities" claiming to be the "rules arbiter."

If you could explain what "last pocket" means - perhaps we are just involved with semantics about the same thing we call something else?

Plase tell us.

4. brettmcbrettmc on 5/8/2015 10:14:53 AM

Believe me, I hate "last pocket" as well. Basically Last Pocket 8 ball is not ball in hand pool. If you call your last ball in the corner pocket then you have to hit the 8 ball in the last pocket.

The problem in this instance is that with two balls left a ball was called in the corner pocket, made, and then the last remaining solid was knocked in the side pocket during that process.

The conundrum, now that there are no solids left on the table, is whether the "last pocket" is (a) the corner pocket since it was the last "called pocket" or (b) the side pocket since that is where the last solid went in.

I know for most of you this seems ridiculous, but just wondering if you have an opinion or if you've ever seen or heard of anything like this.

5. brettmcZeke on 5/8/2015 6:21:40 PM

Not ridiculous at all. I'm learning here as well. I just learned there's a legit game called "Last Pocket" - e.g., whatever the last ball of your's is pocketed - becomes the DP (designated pocket) the 8-ball must made.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

6. brettmcuser1588654073 on 5/4/2020 9:47:54 PM

@brettmc, that is an interesting last-pocket situation and I would like to know the answer, too.

Also, nice job keeping your cool with the very condescending 50-year pool veteran who didn't know what last pocket 8 ball is. I wish I had that kind of patience.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Calling Shots and the Last Pocket Rule
  • Author:
  • Published: 5/5/2015 9:36:07 AM
  • Last Updated: 3/20/2019 1:44:54 PM
  • Last Updated By: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)