By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Advice Needed for Purchasing My First Used Pool Table

I am a casual pool player, not very experienced and don't know a lot about tables but have always wanted my own pool table at home. We recently finished our basement and am now serious about buying a used table locally. There are many, many available on craigslist for under 2 grand and from Philly area dealers. I know you get what you pay for but I don't need a high end or expensive table...but I do want something decent, name brand, slate top, less than 15 years old etc. It seems that used pool tables are like used boats, there are so many for sale for far less than what they cost new just a few years ago and people that don't end up using them, want to get rid of them for much less than they paid. I'd like to spend around a grand and just want to know I am getting a half decent table for the money.

I have been poking around for a few weeks and now that the basement is officially done, I am getting ready to pull the trigger and have these 2 in mind that I found locally.

The first is an Olhausen Americana that the owner says is about 15 years old and was very rarely used. I assume it includes the accessories and I'm sure I can get it for less than a grand but will have to pay to have it disassembled, moved and reassembled. I have seen moving prices ranging from $250 to $500. What does a local move typically cost?

Pool table - $1050 (Chester Springs, PA) (philadelphia.craigslist.org/tag/5204046799.html)

Olhausen pool table. Accufast bumpers. Pool sticks, balls, cover and other accessories included. Excellent condition. Rarely used. Already disassembled for easy transport as you cannot move it when it's assembled due to the slate.

The second is a Brunswick Madison, I don't know how old (waiting for the owner to tell me) but it is not the antique Madison, it was probably made in the 90's and may be newer. It includes all accessories, and it was just recovered. I can get it for $1200, maybe a little less AND the price includes transport and professional installation.

8' Brunswick Pool Table Free Delivery and Setup! - $1500 (Green Lane, PA) (philadelphia.craigslist.org/tag/5189174069.html)

I am selling my 8' Brunswick Madison pool table. Included in the price is a professional delivery and install!

• Brand new felt Never Played On
  • 2 Cues
  • 8 Ball rack
  • Belgium Aramith Balls $120 Value
  • Matching chalk
  • Brush

I have read that at that price, The Madison is a pretty decent first table. Can anyone tell me if one is far better than the other?

THANK YOU for any advice or input!

Replies & Comments

1. KF3CDZeke on 9/4/2015 5:50:04 AM

You mentioned Philly and when I bought a table in Bergen County, NJ - that I brought to VT some 4 years ago, I had this guy do the disassembly: tabletek.net@gmail.com The owner's name is Rob Kay. He's a genius!

He told me how to transport safely,how the re-assembly and new felt should be done and threw me some parts that should have been on the Brunswick - 9-footer I bought. If memory serves, he charged ~$400 to drive from Philly to Englewood Cliffs and back - and spent ~3 hrs. carefully disassembling my Medalist and helped me load the slates and rails into my P/U truck.

Knows more about billiard tables than anyone on earth and has the skill set to make an old dog almost new.

Here's the number I had for him 4 years ago: (215) 622-8899

He's honest, knows used and new tables an might offer serious advice at N/C if he's not crazy busy...

2. KF3CDspeedbump on 9/4/2015 6:33:12 AM

Sounds like your looking at some well known brand names that go along with quality. The only advice I have is to be sure the table weighs a LOT! Slate is a must and good felt makes for better playing.

I had mine moved (4X8) a couple of years ago. From one room to another not off property, had new Simonis felt installed. That cost me $600.00.

3. KF3CDZeke on 9/4/2015 5:23:51 PM

...and for sure, a good used table is typically better than some of the new junk on the market. Craig's List worked for me. Costco has some decent stuff at great prices.

Take your time.

4. KF3CDZiggy_Lee on 9/5/2015 5:43:58 PM

Hello Mike, I don't own a table at this time, I'm going to be moving in the next few years. Then I'm going to look into getting a good table. My own opinion on tables is just my preference. I'm going to either get an 8 or 9 foot Diamond or I also like Brunswick Gold crown IV or VI. I have found pretty nice Gold Crown's running around 2500 or 3000. You get what you pay for and for my It's either a Diamond or Brunswick Gold Crown, I don't mind plating on bar box tables, but for me it's Diamond or the Gold Crowns. Good luck in the search for your new table.

5. KF3CDKF3CD on 9/14/2015 10:24:29 AM

Thanks Zeke for the tip about Rob! I e-mailed him via his website 2 days ago and haven't received a reply and will try calling him today. I tried to email you to thank you but I have not made enough posts to be able to do that yet. I ended up buying a like new Kasson Austin 8 ft. table from my brothers neighbor, that happened to pop up on Craigslist last week, it's 5 minutes from my home so that helps. It's gorgeous, like new and the price was right, less than 1/3 of what they paid new 12 years ago and there's not a mark on it and it includes lots of extras. Hope I can connect with Rob, I'd like to tell him who referred me but doubt he would know your screen name (?). Tnx again,

Mike

6. KF3CDKF3CD on 9/17/2015 6:21:04 PM

Ok, i hooked up with Rob and his co, they move the table next week. He would like to know who referred him Zeke...but he doesnt know a Zeke.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Advice Needed for Purchasing My First Used Pool Table
  • Author:
  • Published: 9/3/2015 11:37:35 AM