By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Coaching or Not?

Coaching or Not?

Had a situation come up yesterday during our weekly BCA matches. We have someone on our team new to the game. After she completed a shot, I walked over to the table and asked the opponent if he minded if I explained a rule to her. He said he didn't mind... so I proceeded to explain the odd "Safety" shot where you are allowed to call Safe and intentionally pocket a ball. I explained it because on her previous shot, it would have been applicable. At that point, the captain of the other team comes over and says that is considered coaching and is not allowed. So... illegal coaching or not? Allowed or not?

This question relates to the following billiard rules:

Coaching or Not?

Replies & Comments

1. snitsrevengeFenwick on 4/14/2016 10:28:09 AM

Illegal technically. Should have gone over the rules beforehand. So what did the other team do?

If her opponent didn't care I would have just walked away after the team captain complained. I was called on that once for telling a c player something like you could have done this rather then that after the fact. Her opponent ran out so it didn't really matter but after that I kept my mouth shut.

2. snitsrevengesnitsrevenge on 4/15/2016 7:38:35 AM

Their captain complained and that was it on that one. Keep in mind this is our weekly league night, not our yearly tournament for money. Although he then took it to another level later in the night. One of my players miscued when breaking and barely broke up the balls. Both players didn't know how to proceed and asked me what to do... I got up, walked to table and asked 1 question "Did 4 balls hit a rail?".

The other captain, not knowing anything about the situation, came storming over calling for a forfeit because I was coaching and he wouldn't shut up long enough to even hear what was going on -- my player got tired of it, threw cue ball in pocket and walked out. Even with the free 10-0 game they got out of that, we still crushed them.

3. snitsrevengeFenwick on 4/19/2016 6:38:16 AM

Well what should have happened is either a re rack or the opponent has the choice. Ball in hand or he the breaks according to the World Standardized Rules. B.C.A. or A.P.A. not sure as I don't play under their rules.

The other team's captain sounds like he's a type A personality. Your team still crushed them. NICE! Pool players are not the salt of the earth IMO. Not that you did anything wrong but next time you play them you may want to tell them nothing and have everyone on your team carry the rule book or at least read it.

No good deed goes un punished.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

Coaching or Not?

• Title: Coaching or Not?
  • Author:
  • Published: 4/14/2016 8:36:25 AM