By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

American Shuffleboard Table Reborn

It took around 3 months and cost about 800 for everything, but its finally done!

When i picked up this POS "free" table it had extensive carpenter ant damage, 20-30 year old cloth + rails, shakey legs and was just in all around nasty condition. What I liked about it was the fact it was a 1-piece slate old commercial table that had some nice styling . . . and it was free.

As for the work, it started with ripping out the rusted out ball return's guts, replacing the foot rail side of the table, and getting some solid legs under it(four 4x4's each strapped with 1/2" hardware, and skinned with MDF for looks). Then I re-braced the slate supports, filled in the old window on the long side, and made a new ball return out of PVC and MDF. Next up was the rhino liner paint job - sanded down with 400 grit sand paper on the rails - and blue LED rail sights all hand made. while that noise was going on, all the metal was getting powder coated and new sub rails, rails, cloth and pockets were on the way.

i also wanted a nice light for it that resembled a diamond light, only without the price tag. the holes will be filled in with some blue plexiglass rod plugs as soon as i get around to ordering it, it is supposed to match the rail sights and the paint on it is rhino liner. the dart board cabinet was also modified to match the whole set down to every little detail.

so here it is all finished, and its almost level without any shims under it. should be getting that done in a couple days.

Pre-slate and carpet, but a nice silhouette. This is the side i filled in the long rectangular viewing hole most bar tables have.

Corner can freshly powdercoated and the blue led rail sights

"The set"

Decent view of the skinned in legs and the side i re-built out of 3/4" plywood. the table is still dusty from all the sanding i had to do on the slate.

All my game room needs is a little cleaning, some leather couches, and the HVAC work completed and it'll be ready to rock.

~Will.

Replies & Comments

1. SlickWillybilliardsforum on 1/13/2009 4:35:24 AM

That is one awesome restoration job. Thanks for sharing! Is that gray cloth?

2. SlickWillySlickWilly on 1/14/2009 5:18:48 PM

thats a bakers (or bankers?) grey mali cloth. from what i hear it should stand up quite well in the garage during the humid florida summers.

3. SlickWillyquickshot on 1/14/2009 5:49:46 PM

It looks like you did a nice job on the table as far as I can see. I wish the pics were a little lighter so the finished product was more visible.
    Have fun.

4. SlickWillykevin on 1/31/2009 8:44:16 PM

Dear SlickWilly,

That is a terrific job and take it from me I know how difficult a pool table refurb can be.

I especially like the flush fit led's as rail markers...now that's ingenious. But don't those markers cover the screws/bolts to main frame or aprons or does your table have a different rail attachment method?

5. SlickWillySlickWilly on 2/11/2009 8:57:14 AM

The rail sights arent just flush mounted LED's. I recessed in some 5mm ultra blue led's and hand made 18 diffusers out of 3/8" thick plexi. Since this is an old commercial table the rails are held on with wood screws (parallel to the floor) so i was lucky enough to be able to move some screw locations to not hit the LED tails.

Sorry for the dark pics, heres one where you can see a little more of the table the screws that are visible only via the camera flash do not hold on the rails, those are just for the metal trim that goes around the whole table

and this very dark pic shows what the diffusers look like with the led's off (bottom)

and for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is the table the day i got it at its old home.

~Will.

6. SlickWillybubbakid on 1/15/2011 4:35:22 PM

Dear SlickWilly,

That table and story are looking top-notch. Perhaps you could help out a fellow pool enthusiast. My buddy and I have an American Shuffleboard pool table which looks to be similar to your's - and it's a commercial one too. However, it is badly in need of refelting. I was hoping that you could walk/talk us through the process of getting to the dismantling process without ruining it. We have looked around several times but cannot seem to uncover any obvious way of going about taking things apart to begin the refelting process. Thanks in advance for your expertise!

7. SlickWillymskitty4 on 11/22/2015 10:50:38 AM

@bubbakid - Did you ever get an answer to this? I'm having the same dilemma. Help

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: American Shuffleboard Table Reborn
  • Author: (Will Picardi)
  • Published: 1/12/2009 12:03:11 PM
  • Last Updated: 2/28/2022 2:35:42 PM
  • Last Updated By: billiardsforum (Billiards Forum)