By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Short rail

Short rail

Hello all!

Great forum here. Quick question about typical bar room pool rules. Shooting at the 8 ball and called my pocket and had to bank the cue ball to hit the 8. After banking the cue I hit a short rail and made the 8 in the pocket I had called. Would this typically be considered a "good shot". I believe it was and am looking for a second opinion. Thanks in advance all!

This question relates to the following billiard rules:

Short rail

Replies & Comments

1. SilentsrfrZeke on 7/3/2015 4:28:55 PM

What makes you suspect it is not - a "good shot."

I never heard of any situation where making the 8 off ANY rail was a foul...

But I don't play 8-ball. Mainly because, if we were to ask that same question in 20 bars, we'd likely get 20 differing responses.

2. SilentsrfrSilentsrfr on 7/3/2015 5:51:51 PM

The guy that lost didn't think it was. Lol. I agree there are so many variations and rules that there will always be controversy in a pick up game. I don't like to play for money for that reason. It tickles me when some gets down several games and then they want to go double or nothing and then they are told they have to win it back how they lost it. The whole thing is too much drama. Thanks for the reply!

3. SilentsrfrZeke on 7/4/2015 8:16:23 AM

Before engaging in ANY 8-ball game, I'd ask what the rules were and where they are written down!

Without written rules anyone's interpretation can be made - almost always at the expense of the actual rules - all of which are posted on this website. Look at the top green 'tabs' under BILLIARD RULES - 8-BALL.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

Short rail

• Title: Short rail
  • Author:
  • Published: 7/3/2015 2:46:08 PM