By using this site you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service

forgot password?

Cracked Seam on Pool Table

I put my table together using "Rock Hard" filler in the seams. It has worked well for a couple years but it has now cracked at the seams. I suspect my kids were horsing around on it. Now there are little chunks of the putty under the felt. Has anyone seen this happen? Is there anything I can do short of redoing it? I used the rock hard as I'd seen pro installers using it. Should I use wax next time?

Replies & Comments

1. ToxictomZeke on 8/12/2014 6:12:27 AM

Natural expansion and contraction from A/C vs. Heating and/or high summer humidity vs. winter dryness - is why the pros use wax. It has some "give" and is minimally effected by humidity and temperature swings.

I never saw a pro use a rigid compound. Semi-soft, yes.

The seam/joint compound does NOT glue the two edges together! It merely fills the void.

The wooden "wedge/stakes" that pin the slate to the frame is what keeps the joint(s) together. When they dry out, they can shrink ever so slightly and allow the slate(s) to shift from hard play or any shock-like trauma.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it pans out.

upload a photo or document

use plain text or markdown syntax only

Sign in to ensure your message is posted.

If you don't have an account, enter your email and choose a password below and we'll create your account.

Preview:

• Title: Cracked Seam on Pool Table
  • Author:
  • Published: 8/11/2014 8:30:51 PM